5 Reasons Why You Should Travel To Bangkok

Because I’ve been too lazy and busy to blog for months (actually years), I am writing this as a long-delayed post. I went to Bangkok September of last year. The initial plan was to go to Krabi and then finally, Bangkok as our final destination. But due to limited time, we were forced to head to Bangkok straight from Manila.

Among the Asian countries that I have been to, Bangkok would probably be one of my favorites. I am a traveler who pays for an airfare ticket in exchange of culture and unique experiences; and not for mall hopping, not even for shopping. With my P6,000 roundtrip airfare MLA-BKK Manila and my 4-night, 3-day visit, I knew I was bound for one culturally-rich experience.

Together with my friend, Aimee, I took the 9:45PM Cebu Pacific flight for Bangkok. The flight from Manila to Bangkok is three hours, which means that we’ll touchdown Suvarnabhumi International Airport an hour past midnight. There is actually a reason why I book midnight flights – they’re the cheapest!

And now, let’s get started – why do I love Bangkok again?

Convenient transportation.


I was not worried that I’d be arriving midnight because Bangkok has a very reliable and efficient transportation system. If you’re not too keen about riding a cab, you can take the Airport Link’s City line which will take you from Suvarnabhumi International Airport to Phaya Thai Station. (Check out the schedule and routes of the Airport Link here.) But because the last trip departs from the airport at midnight, we were not be able to catch the last train so we took a cab to our hotel.

During the day, the BTS Skytrain, the MRT, and the boats along Chao Phraya river can get you around the city. Tip: Remember, if there’s one thing similar between Bangkok and Manila, it’s the traffic - so if you want to make the most of your stay, ride the train or the boats instead.


Food.

Nothing compares to Thai food! I’d dig Thai restaurants in Manila but eating authentic Thai cuisine, made with real Thai spices while hearing people around speak Thai as you eat is a totally different experience. It’s simply heaven!
When it comes to exploring food, my rule is to head out to the streets. I usually plan just one fancy meal throughout my entire trip and the rest are spent on the streets. And if it does not seem like I’m madly and badly fascinated with Thai food yet, let me repeat it again – THAI FOOD IS LOVE!

Shopping for less.


People and culture.

I don’t shop a lot when I travel except for the souvenirs and the pasalubongs but in Bangkok, I totally lost my mind (my budget almost, too) when I went to the Chatuchak Market. Picture it as a cultured, relatively safer and more convenient Divisoria selling chicer fashion pieces at extremely lower prices. Now, I don’t wonder why there are a lot of Bangkok clothes resellers in the Philippines. Of course, the cheap-o shopper that I am, I blew most of my travel budget on the clothes. Aside from the clothes, Chatuchak is also home to (yet again) delicious Thai food. I’d be posting a different blog about getting to, from, and around the Chatuchak Market so watch out for it soon.

I’d bombard you with a lot more Bangkok posts. That’s the price I pay for delaying my writing. 2 more countries for 2011 in line.

Ciao!

Thailand has one of the richest and well-kept cultures in Asia. You will see, feel, hear, touch, and smell it in their temples, the people that you meet, the aroma of the food that they cook, and the music that that they listen to. Just like Filipinos, Thai people are warm, friendly, and very accommodating too.

The exchange rate.
Budget is everyone’s major consideration when choosing a country to visit - 1 PHP is 1.39 THB. My pocket money (minus airfare and hotel accommodation) was PHP10,000 which converts to roughly THB7,200. With my THB7,200 on hand, I was able to eat and survive 3 days and 2 nights, avail of three tours, shop like crazy (I bought 3 high-waist shorts, 2 skirts, 1 dress, 1 jumpsuit, 2 vintage tops and pasalubongs), and even have cocktails at Sirocco! Check out my post on my Bangkok budget soon.

Comments