Public Transportation in Bangkok: How To Get Around By Train

This is going to be another post about one of my favorite Asian countries, Bangkok. (I told you, there’d be a lot.)

Bangkok transportation is pretty much convenient. The easiest means of transportation around the city is through train. The whole city is strategically and conveniently connected. And it’s nice to know that there’s always a train station near tourist spots, museums, malls, schools, hotels, or wherever your want to be. I took the train all the time and it got me to my destination in minutes.

Around Bangkok

There are three major train lines taking passengers around the city:
- The MRT Route
- BTS Skytrain (Sukhumvit Line) 

- BTS Skytrain (Silom Line)

If you plan to tour Bangkok by train the whole day, I suggest that you get the BTS all-day pass for only BHT120. It saves you from the long queue and the hassles of buying another ticket every time you ride the train. You can use your all-day pass the whole day – no limitations!

DO NOT FORGET to get a Bangkok map at the airport. It’s for free and it’s also very useful because it has an illustration of the different train routes around the city.

Tip: Book a hotel near a train station. It's cheaper. Aside from that, just remember the nearest station to your hotel and you’re not going to find your way back. Learn more about the BTS here, and the MRT here.

To and from Suvarnabhumi Airport



*Photos from the Web (Sorry about having no photos to show you. By the time I head to the airport, I'd be too tired to even take pictures.)

Two train routes depart to and from and Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Airport Link’s City Line
How much? BHT45
Travel time: 30 minutes
Advantage: Cheaper than Express Line
Disadvantage: Eight station stops before reaching the airport

This commuter train makes eight stops starting at Phaya Thai all the way to the airport. I paid BHT45 for my 30-minute travel time, which was not bad considering the distance between the airport and the city. You can take a cab but that’s bound to cost you a lot, plus the traffic can be really stressful too. The Airport Link runs every 15 minutes.

The Express Line 
How much? BHT150
Travel time: 15 minutes
Advantage: Non-stop from Makkasan to the airport; more convenient seats
Disadvantage: More expensive than the Airport Link

The Express Line is more expensive, with tickets sold at BHT150 but way more convenient. It whisks passengers non-stop from Makkasan to Suvarnabhumi Airport. The travel time takes only 15 minutes and the best part is that you get to check in your luggage at the Makkasan station so you don’t have to worry about tagging your bags all the way to your boarding gate.

My thoughts:

I am extremely pleased with the convenience of traveling by train around Bangkok. (How I wish we had this in Manila too!)I'd buy an all-day pass every day throughout my stay. I took the train to Chatuchak, to Sirocco, to the night markets, to Chao Phraya, to and from the airport, to everywhere! I took the cab just once and it was only because there were no more train trips when we arrived past midnight. I also don’t have to worry about getting lost because my hotel was just a few steps away from a BTS station. Of course, the biggest advantage in taking the train is that you get to save lots of money (and time, too)!

So put on your earphones, listen to your favorite travel song, and savor Bangkok by train.

Comments