Laoag, Vigan, La Union: And why the best trips are those that aren't planned


On a high at the La Paz Sand Dunes, Laoag
Around 3pm, we arrived in Laoag. We checked-in in our cheap-o hotel and contacted Glenn whose number we got on the Internet. Glenn is a member of the Pinakbet group who pioneered La Paz Sand Dune's 4x4 adventures. Glenn picked us up drove us to the sand dunes.  The boys were in high spirits and uber excited for the adventure.

The first part of our package was the 4x4 ride. We were all on a high while whisked through steep slopes. I wanted to stand at the back of the truck but only a maximum of 4 were allowed so I had no choice but to sit on the passenger's sit. We were ecstatic throughout the ride especially when it's time to "dive" a steep hill. At the highest peak, we stopped for a few minutes to marvel at the sunset and take photos.
 Then,  off to sand boarding. We thought the crazy dives of our 4x4 truck was the peak of the trip but it was not. Now, we all had to strap our feet in the sand board and slide down. Adrenaline rushed. I knew I had to do it. I could not forgive myself if I did not. And because I hate the feeling of delaying things because it gives you more time to entertain nervousness, I volunteered to go first. I thought it wouldn't be any different from surfing or skateboarding but hell was I wrong. (Boo, no photos of myself sand boarding. I was the "photographer" of the trip and the boys were too busy perfecting their moves on the board.) We smashed. We crashed. But we were having a great time. And we did it over and over again!

The Pinakbet group were so good to us. They allowed us to stay a little longer and even gave us a ride back downtown. For P2500, it was a fun and adrenaline-rushing second day. The boys drank the night away but I opted to stay in our hotel. The next day, we were headed to Vigan.

Revisiting heritage in Vigan
I've been to Vigan several times but I always find this town a charmer. It was a quick visit because we wanted to be in La Union by night time to catch the last day of the Surf & Music Festival.

Booze and bands at the Surf & Music Festival, La Union




La Union is like a home to me. When I want to get away, I hop on a 7-hour bus ride and head to San Juan. But this particular visit would be different because of the bands. I looove bands and oh I looove the beach! That turned out to be just the icing in the cake. The entire shore seemed like a version of the sunken garden by the beach. We bumped into a LOT of UP friends and ended up having our mini UP Fair reunion.

We ended our North adventure in La Union. And true enough, the best trips are those that are not planned. 

Comments