Finding "the theme" in Disneyland




I don’t go to theme parks because I’ve always believed that the greatest and most amusing themes are those that you find on the road. But I wanted to be happy. And this time, I wasn’t looking for the beach bliss kind of upper, I wanted a kiddie giddy feeling kind of upper.  And I knew that the sight of Mickey or Belle would take me back to the couch I’ve laid down on every night when all my home works were done.  That very couch I’ve laid down on when all I had to worry about was my stationery collection or the live insects that I had to bring to school for Science Fair. And true enough, Disneyland had me giddy like a kid. Quite amusing for someone in her late 20’s, how much more for a 6-year-old?




It was Christmas and everywhere was busy; and everyone was tired and happy. The weather was cold and most people wore boots, fleece coats. Some even wore ear muffs. The kids smiled, some cried, at the sight of Mickey. The adults, just as eager as the little ones, smiled at the sight of Mickey too. Many had Disney shopping bags on their hands and each shopping bag had a Disney souvenir inside it and a happy person back home to receive it. The adults braved the long lines for the fun rides. Seemed like they wanted to scare the sh*t out of themselves because for adults, that’s one honest way to be extremely happy. And when the fireworks shot up, people raised their cameras. I know, they weren't just recording the parade of lights up in the sky, they were recording that happy moment.









Snow started to fall. It was almost midnight. I grabbed my camera to take pictures of my friends and myself. Right at that moment, some people back home were busy working in their cubicles but I was in a happy place. I was lucky. I just had to memorize that feeling.

Comments