On a bittersweet high at the Wanderland Music Fest 2013


Hip.ster – n. Slang

1. One who is exceptionally aware of or interested in the latest trends and tastes, especially a devotee of modern jazz.

There was not much jazz in last night’s Wanderland Music Fest but there were a lot of people, majority kids, who showed enthusiasm to the latest trends. Maybe they didn’t even know everyone on the lineup and on panic, downloaded “Sweet Disposition” “Animal” and a couple of Nada Surf they heard on One Tree Hill when they realized that Wanderland was fast approaching.

At some point, I was a little hesitant to go because somehow, finding myself in a sea of "kid hipsters" making indie the new pop would break my heart. I have loved indie music for as long as I could remember and now maybe we have to start scraping the term out of the dictionary because that thing no longer exists.

But when I found myself in last night’s crowd, I said “in all fairness to these kids, they all look cute.” Flower crowns, neons, boots, DMs, tank tops. And I was in shock when I saw my then grade schooler buddy, our office’s backdoor neighbor when I was still with advertising, present at the event. OMG I am this old and yes, good thing I did not attempt to wear a flower crown because I didn’t have the right to wear one. Crown the fresh young ones!

 


The hangover

With Sweet Disposition still on loop and while I’m still on my bittersweet high, I want to thank the hipsters, rockers, wannabe’s, whatever – you guys made last night amazing even if I was there all alone. I saw a lot of familiar faces - some from UP, Sarah’s, Cubao Ex, but I could not go around even if I was dying to. Aside from my feet were in extreme pain because I could not remember the last time I wore my pair of boots, I didn't want to leave my spot. I was supposed to meet some friends but my batt got empty (which explains why I don’t have pictures) even before Avalanche City could play.

I stayed where I was and just sank the magic in.  Then played Avalanche City, UDD, Tully on Tully, Neon Trees, Nada Surf. To be honest, I didn’t have Tully on Tully on my play list until last week and I loved them.

The last act – Temper Trap. I wouldn’t fret for the other bands as much as I would for Temper Trap. I love Temper Trap from way way back! In fact, I want to walk down the aisle with Sweet Disposition on the background (lol). I stood up when they started doing the sound check. I was near the stage, tired, alone but so ready for my Trap. Then song by song, lyric by lyric, melody by melody - I have managed to shut the world around me. I started to miss my super friends. It would have been a lot sweeter if they were all here. This particular set was careening me through a bittersweet time travel.

Then, "Sweet Disposition." The long intro seemed like a preparation for what would be a nostalgic yet happy chorus of "so stay the-rrr-eee.... 'coz i'll be coming o-veeeer." I was actually on a bit of tears and I haven’t even had a drink. As expected, all the kids screamed and sang with Dougy. I was floating. They, we, all were.

Somewhere in the middle of the song, I missed my youth, and badly wanted to reclaim my right to a flower crown. But that moment, I wanted to give it all to the kids. It was for them and the colorful, eventful road that they’ll have to walk on. I didn’t mind who listened to indie, who posed to be, were hipsters, were not. Confetti fell. And then I felt goosebumps. Ahh, songs - and how they bring back to life the exact emotions we once felt at one exact time.

To everyone at the Globe Circuit grounds, thank you all for keeping me company. And thank you Karpos Multimedia for making the Wanderland Music Festival happen! I've read a lot of tweets how Wanderland was a lot better compared to Laneway. The event was well-organized and security was tightly enforced. You guys simply put the "wo(a)nder" in the "wo(a)nderland!" See you next year please!

Comments