Summer love from Panglao Island, Bohol


I pretended to be a local who knew exactly where she was going. I did it hoping to shoo the swarm of tricycle drivers away outside the airpot.  When I reached the next street, that's when I got a trike and haggled for a P300 one-way tricycle ride. I was on my way to Panglao.

This happened after my failed birthday mission in Oslob. I was lucky enough  to chance upon a promo and I got my round trip ticket for only P800 via Ocean Jet.


White fine sand but not flour-like.  A stretch of establishments but lesser than Boracay.  Dophins? Coconut trees. More nature, less party. I wanted to see things for myself. I have been to Bohol before but never been to Panglao. I imagined Panglao to be my kind of sugar rush – a good book by the beach, birthday reflections while I bury my toes in the sand, a good summer playlist while staring at the sunset – home to all the happy thoughts in the world.

I finally arrived in Panglao around 6pm. I went directly to Playa Blanca, a resort recommended by a Boholano friend. After checking in, I went out to grab dinner. I was so hungry but I could hear a nearby bar playing The Cure. Then Pearl Jam. Then Tool. I knew I have to drink in that bar before I leave. But at that time, I was hungry so I settled for a nearby paluto and ate my dinner. I was so sleepy and tired after dinner so I slept.

When I woke up the next day, I was ready to worship the sun. True enough - white sand, a stretch of establishments, boats and boatmen everywhere., the  vibe is almost like Boracay, only more quiet, more laidback, more nature.  When I took a quick stroll, I noticed the  presence of algae bloom, also a common Boracay problem. The beach was beautiful, no doubt, but dipping my toes in lumot, instead of white sand made me a little sad. Panglao is such a beauty to be in green lumot horror like this.  Maybe I'll have to go back to Panglao some time, when the season is in favor of the shore and no lumot could be seen, to truly appreciate this beach paradise.

So I settled for a spot at the far-end  corner of the island, laid down my sarong, and thought. About Panglao (and other Philippine beaches infested with lumot). And the many possible  things that we can do to help clean up the shores.


Around lunch time, tanned and renewed, I took another stroll and saw Panglao from a different perspective. There were restaurants, convenient stores, lots of diving shops, lots of tall coconut trees, foreigners of different colors and languages. Boatmen offering tours to nearby islands. I chose to stay in Alona Beach because it's "the more famous beach" and with the algae bloom aside, it has all the right to be famous. The only sad part about this trip is that my time was limited. I could have explored the other "less famous beaches" in Panglao to realize what some people were missing.

Nonetheless, it was a beach trip with lots of sunshine and happy thoughts - just what I needed for my birthday. And as for exploring the less famous beaches in Panglao, I know I'll be back.

***

Traveling from Cebu to Bohol

1. Book through Ocean Jet, the cheapest option, from Cebu port to Tagbilaran port. They currently have a Libreng-Balik promo. I got my ticket for only P800 roundtrip. Be sure to book ahead of time to avail of the best rates.

2. From Tagbilaran port, find a tricycle to take you to Panglao. Don't give in to the first offer that you see in the airport.  Walk farther and get a tricyle on the next street.  P300 one-way to Panglao

Traveling within the Bohol

Because Bohol sites are far from one another, it would save you time, effort, and money if you hire a trike to tour you around.  P1000 ountryside tour

Comments