My birthday dare: Swim with the whale sharks in Oslob, Cebu


The only photo I got of the whale shark

The group of boats, just a few meters from the shore, is where shark feeding happens

I don't know how to feel about birthdays. It always has a way of making me feel small, underachieved. There are many things to be thankful for but the thought of an approaching birthday daunts me. So two years ago, I made a pact to be anywhere but my comfort zone for my birthday. It does not have to fall on the exact day but I.have.to.get.out. I have to do something that will make me happy. And if that meant, being carefree, I'd gladly welcome that.

So three weeks ago, on the eve of my birthday, I left home to be with the sharks. I wanted to confront my fear of the open sea. Since an incident in Batangas where I almost drowned, I haven’t been able to swim. Even shallow waters scare me. I wanted to forget about the fear in that incident, especially because I love the sea. And this time, I wasn't just going to swim in open sea, I was going to swim with sharks. How is that for a challenge, for a girl who almost died and hasn't swam for more than 5 years?


Almost midnight and almost a year older, I was at the Mactan International Airport. I was fidgeting in my seat, going from one position to another trying to catch sleep. I had to leave at 3am to be in Oslob at 6am. The travel time from Cebu City to Oslob is roughly 3 hours. At 6am, I was at my birthday destination.

I was ushered into the briefing area where locals briefed us about the rules of the whaleshark adventure. I took a quick look at the sea. In one part, there was a group of bancas, roughly 15. I thought we had to be in the middle of the sea to be able to swim with the sharks but these whale sharks swim all the way until they're just 20 meters away from the shore. So if I drown, taking me back to safety will only take more or less 5 minutes, I won't die. I took a closer look and I saw the waves. The waves were huge. From afar, the bancas appeared to be moving up and down. Everyone and everything in that area appeared to be moving up and down. Omg, the waves were really huge. And I was going to swim in there? With sharks?

After the briefing, I got my snorkeling gear. Vests are a requirement on the way to the area so I wore mine, so tight, because I really wanted to make sure I won't be thrown into the huge waves along the way. The boat went off and as expected, I was going up and down. It was pretty crazy at first. Then we arrived at the area. I could see silhouettes of the sharks. I thought there'd just be one or two but I saw more than five of them. The boats form a big circle and the sharks would come in and out of the circle.  Two smaller boats feed the sharks and then the sharks would follow. They were near, they were actually right beside the banca, I could actually almost touch them (but touching is not allowed)! They would open their mouth as they get near the banca and the boatman would feed small shrimps.

Then people started going into the water. I followed, scared and very slowly. The current wasn't as strong as I expected it to be but the waves were huge. There was a sense of panic in me but I managed, somehow. I got my camera in the hopes of getting a good underwater shot. Then suddenly, this humongous shark swam right under me. I did not see that coming. It was surreal. I was in awe that I forgot about taking a photo. I was not even swimming. I was just there floating and not knowing what do, where to go next. Then another one came swimming to towards the direction of a banca nearby. I flushed. I was being sandwiched by two giant whale sharks! I panicked. I wanted to get back into the banca RIGHT AWAY.


Suddenly, I forgot about my birthday pact. It could have been one of my life's greatest photos - birthday girl sandwiched between two sharks. But no, I found myself calling on to our boatman asking him to help me get back into the banca. People were staring at me. They were probably thinking that I was drowning or bitten by the shark. I was secretly laughing at myself. I just made a funny scene. Birthday mission fail. But seeing these huge wonderful creatures was more than enough.


Welcome to Oslob!
Life jackets are a requirement while you head to the swimming spot.
Locals briefing a group of Europeans
What to / what not to do. Tourists who touch the whale shark are required to pay P2,500.

 Getting ready 
Fisherman feeding the whale shark.
Then a fisher folk community turned tourist attraction
 Happy berdey to me!

Travel guide to Oslob
From Mactan International Airport


3:00 AM Leave from Cebu City for Oslob
Cab to South Bus Terminal (P150)
Bus fare to Oslob (P160)
6:00 AM Arrive in Oslob
Breakfast (P150)
7:00 AM Swim with the whale sharks
Fees (P500)
Snorkeling set (P50)
11   AM Leave for Cebu City
Lunch (P100)
Bus to Cebu City (P160)

I selected this post to be featured on my blog’s page at Best Travel Blogs.

Comments