Puka Beach, Boracay


With the rain madly pouring down today, I’m able to appreciate more how fantastic my summer had been. I’ve been to several beautiful beaches; and, to Boracay twice. While it’s true that there’s a bittersweet beauty in the rain, I’m all for the sun and the beach. (No offense rain but you’re just my second love.)


Welcome to Puka Beach! 

So I’m writing today about Puka beach, the hidden, peaceful (and cleaner) part of Boracay. If you want to skip the crowd and the party, hop on a paraw and sail away to Pucca beach (P700 for two.) A cheaper and faster way to get there is by riding a tricycle (P100 for two.)

Getting there in this paraw seemed like a destination in itself. You get to lie down and enjoy the sea as you're maneuvered by the blow of winds. Best time to go paraw sailing is during sunset. I'm told you can even bring drinks.


Puka beach is located on the other side of Boracay and is open to the public for free. It’s a laidback and quiet beach – no restaurants but there are two canteens selling drinks and chips. For those visiting Boracay during summer where lumot is a major distraction in White Beach, head to Puka and enjoy crystal-clear and clean waters.

I honestly love this part of the island especially because I’m all for my own quiet time where I can just lie down by the sand, undisturbed by passersby. All I really want to do is look at the skies, listen to Bob Marley, and then, off to dream la-la-land.
King in action.

We arrived at Puka Beach around 3PM. We didn’t bring food because we planned to return to White Beach as soon as it gets dark. All we had were our sarongs, cameras, and two bottles of water.

King, who is a filmmaker/director was so in love with the place and could not resist making a short flick. Not my idea of relaxation especially because he had to drag me along to help him shoot but who cares when you're shooting in this beautiful setting? Managed to sneak in my me-sand-sun moments in between. And the resulting video was a blast, even better than our official tourism videos. Now, I'm forcing King to make a travel video blog. 

The rest of the day was spent sight-seeing, meeting new people, and taking great pictures.






And I could only dream about walking my dog here at dusk. This guy is a foreigner and he bought a property nearby. Since then, he's lived here. And his dog has been enjoying long and beautiful walks at sunset.

For the locals, the beach is their playground. Acck. Jealous!

And there it was, the sunset.

The sun had set and we had to leave. So sad we have to. I imagine myself having a nipa hut in this beach to come home to every summer. For now, when I'm stressed in the middle of my fast-paced daily routine, I dream about this place and the sunsets and the sand and the perfect beach moment - with my playlist, of course. 'Til next summer!

Comments