Melaka food find: Restoran Famosa Chicken Rice Ball


I’ve been scrimping on most of my meals in Singapore. This is quite sad because food is a destination in itself but because the cost of living in Singapore is really high and because I was determined to stay within the budget, I had no choice but to feed on instant noodles. But I made a promise – the moment that I cross the border to Malaysia, I would S.T.U.F.F myself with lots and lots of good food. And so I did.
Famosa's tasty, golf-size rice balls

Malaysian food is not so different from Filipino food – coconut, rice cakes, ube, and even a local version of halo-halo. When we were walking along Jonker Walk, one particular restaurant stood out – Restoran Famosa Chicken Rice Balls. I was intrigued because there was a long queue of customers patiently waiting outside. So, I joined them.

Restoran Famosa Chicken Rice Ball is a simple food place. Nothing fancy - it looks and feels like the food places at Chatuchak. Fast-paced, a little noisy, but buzzing with excitement. You’d see the thrill in the faces of tourists waiting for their orders of rice balls.

Rice balls, eh? YES! Rice balls! I learned from the locals that Melaka is home to chicken-flavored rice balls. Some dip the rice balls in chili sauce and eat them as is but it also tastes best with roast pork and duck dishes. And if you’re looking for rice balls in Melaka, there’s only one place to be – Famosa.

The famous Famosa restaurant along Jonker Street.
The local version of our lechon kawali. Goes really well with rice balls and chili sauce. Yum!Another best seller in Famosa - cendol, local version of our halo-halo, served with caramelized sugar

On our last day at Melaka, I was craving for comfort food. And my kind of comfort food is tadaah - American breakfast. I know I should have grabbed something for breakfast but I had to be full and well for a few hours of bus ride to Kuala Lumpur. Still along Jonker Walk, we saw this cozy restaurant - Voyage, the breakfast haven of Europeans and Americans looking for the perfect chow.
Big, hearty breakfast for a starving me.
Yum choco banana pancakes served with chocolate syrup.

And of course, my kind of coffee - strong, black, badass.

I love eating. But more than just that, I love discovering hole-in-the-wall food places. If you happen to be in Melaka, head to Jonker Street, where people from different sides of the world meet in the name of good food and fun travels.

Comments