What did I do in Melaka, Malaysia?

Fifty minutes in transit, I woke up and noticed Immigration signs all over. That’s it? Roughly an hour after leaving Singapore and we were ready to cross to Malaysia and I’d finally get to see Melaka! My friend and I got off the bus and headed to the Immigration to get our passports stamped. There are two counters – one for Malaysian citizens and another for foreigners. The process was quick and easy. The staff asked the same old immigration questions that they ask you everywhere. – When is your flight back to Manila? What will you do in Malaysia? Two minutes and we were good to go – hello Malaysia!


Back in the bus, I felt like a giddy kid discovering my seat massager. It was the first luxury bus ride I’ve ever had in my life and each seat had its own TV monitor, radio, and yes, they had back and leg massagers. The three and a half bus ride to Melaka was a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be.

We arrived at the terminal in Melaka and took a cab to our $12/night hostel. Imagine, our overnight accommodation in Melaka’s almost the same price as a McDonald’s value meal in Singapore. There was nothing luxurious about L'armada Guesthouse but it had all the basic amenities that every traveler would need – wifi, comfy bed, private room, shared bath, and unlimited coffee and tea all day. .
I woke up in the morning, looked down from our room window, and look... birds! What a beautiful morning!
 Good morning! L'armada Guesthouse offered a great a view of the river. 

First night in Melaka was spent walking, getting lost, and finding our way back. This little town actually reminded me of my hometown, Tacloban. Laidback, pretty, only busier. It was unfamiliar but I could strongly feel the contained magic and mystery of the place and we were determined to find out just what exactly was that.
River cruise in Melakka. Isn't it lovely and romantic? The cruise was so tempting but my friend and I decided to walk back to our hotel to have a good feel of the local nightlife. Along the riverside were restaurants and pubs filled with tourists. 
On our first day, we headed to Jonker Walk, the busiest street and the place-to-be in Melaka. 

Jonker Walk is jampacked with tourists who, like us, were looking for great shopping finds and the best local chow. 

Second day was another day of long walks, great food, and lots of crazy laughter in between. 




And as for me, I fell in love with this humble town of Malaysia. Weight gain, tired feet, empty pocket, yes. But who cares? And ohh, coffee is badass too!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments