When I thought I didn't like Singapore

To be honest, Singapore is not really in my travel wish list but my high school friend, Karen, had been emailing and texting me non-stop so I said yes. But I agreed for a condition, that we would cross the border to Melakka in Malaysia and book a flight via KL-MLA on our way back. She said yes. And we were good. Chanced a promo fare and we booked it – P5,680 round trip.


Like the other countries I've been to, Singapore offers tourists a map and a quick guide around the city. Here, you'll find various transportation modes, nearby hotels, tourist spots, and pretty much all the information that a tourist needs to get around town. How I wish we have this in Manila!

Of course, we headed to Universal Studios. The tickets are expensive but no amount of money is too much if it gives you passes to your childhood. So, we got in and enjoyed every bit of Disney love.






Meeting Disney characters was the best part about Universal Studio. And the second best - Candyland! Candies everywhere - M&Ms, Hershey's, name it and they have it. Oh, I can just imagine what the whole experience would feel like for a three-year-old! 

Food was expensive too. But I always remind myself not to scrimp too much on food. Food is a destination in itself so I give myself at least one pass to a good restaurant dining experience when I travel. And San Miguel beer in Singapore? Happy hour indeed! 
Then, we took a quick tour around the central business district. To me, it looked like a huge Makati - only cleaner and with less traffic. Or I thought, maybe it's how BGC would like in 5 years. 
 
You can't say you were in Singapore if you didn't have your picture taken with the good 'ol lion. 
I love the feeling of getting lost in a foreign land and not knowing where to go. Takes me out of my comfort zone and makes me realize how small I am in this big, big, world.


One of the reasons why I wasn’t too excited about the trip was Singapore’s cost of living. A day’s expense in Singapore could last me two or even 3 days in India. But I was still up for the fun. I booked a cheap pension house through my trusty travel buddy, Agoda, and off we went.

I realized that I had one huge misconception about Singapore. All the while, I thought it was simply a huge Makati CBD. I forgot about all the art museums, vintage shops, and authentic restaurants. So there, all we did was the usual tourist-y thing.
Then, we were back at our hotel. Beautiful mess as we packed our bags again for a new wonderland.

Two days was not enough. But I was happy that we’d be crossing the border soon, to a place where food is cheaper, where I can eat as much food as I want, and where another adventure awaits.

Comments