How to apply for a Korean visa

Some people think twice about visiting Korea because they’re not sure whether they would be approved of a visa. I’ve read a lot of blogs and forums before I applied for one and the feedback was varied. Some said it was easy and some said it was not. And if I really wanted to know, I had to try it myself. So I did.


In my case, I had applied for a tourist visa and I was an employee at the time of application. Two weeks before my flight schedule, I gathered the following requirements needed for my C-3 visa application. (Note that requirements vary depending on the type of visa that you’re applying for and your profession.)


1. Application form (Get yours here.)
2. 1 passport size photo (Paste your photo on the application form.)
3. Your original passport with at least 6 months validity and a photocopy of the first page.
4. Original employment certificate that states your length of service in the company, your monthly and annual income; and your position. I’ve read in forums that it should also have your office number in case verification is necessary.
5. Original copy of personal bank certificate (Note that this is different from your Statement of Account. I got mine for a fee of Php100 from BPI. The process was quick and took less than 30 minutes.)
6. Photocopy of ITR or Form 2316 (This should have the signature of your accountant.)

The Korean Embassy is strict with requirements so make sure that you have everything with you on the day of application. Arrange your requirements according to the order above.

On the day of application:

1. Head to the Korean Embassy. See address below:

Embassy of the Republic of Korea
122 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Town Center
Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City 1634 Philippines
Tel. No. (02) 8569210, Fax No. (02) 8569024 (Consular Section)

2. Be there as early as possible. I didn’t want to file a leave from work so I went to the embassy as early as 6:30 AM, making me the second applicant to arrive.
3. At the gate, you will be asked to sign in the logbook and you will be given a corresponding number. This is not yet your application number so don’t be too lax to leave the premises just yet.
4. Gates open at 8 AM. The first batch of numbers may not be necessarily followed so if you came early, it would be best if you stay as close to the gate as possible. You’ll be asked to fall in line as you go in.
5. At the door, officers will inspect your requirements. If your requirements are complete, you’ll be given a corresponding and will be directed to your window, depending on the type of visa that you’re applying for. If requirements are incomplete, you’ll be asked to come back.
6. When your number flashes on the screen, approach the window and hand your requirements to the consul. Mine took really quick. No conversation. Not even eye contact. In 3 minutes or so, I got my claim stub. The claim stub; however, does not guarantee that you’ll be approved of a visa. Generally, processing takes 5 working days.

Claiming your Korean visa

1. Go back to the embassy on the date stated in your claim stub. If you’re not available on that date, you can authorize someone to claim your Visa for you.
2. Releasing time is 2-4PM but because it’s a first come first serve basis, be sure to be there by 1PM.
3. Upon arrival, you’ll be given a number and you’ll be asked to fill out a form with the names of the visa applicants.
4. Wait for your number to flash on the screen and claim your Visa (or your passport back if you don’t get approved).

Luckily, I got approved of a C-3 Visa! My Korean visa application was not as tedious as how I thought it would be. The critical part, based on experience and on what I’ve read, is ensuring that all requirements are complete.

And for the million dollar question: How much savings should you have in your bank account to get approved of a Korean visa?

I think this is a case-to-case basis. I’ve heard of applicants with 6-digits in their bank accounts getting denied while some with a meager 5-digit figure getting approved. I’ve also read that the Korean Embassy puts weight on employment and not much on the show money.

Friendly reminders:

• No need to print your roundtrip ticket or your hotel accommodation.
• No need to book a hotel prior to Visa application. On the form, you can write “undecided” in the space provided for hotel name.
• Visa is free if you stay for 59 days or less.

For a more detailed list of Korean Visa requirements for Filipinos, click here.

Good luck on your application!

Comments