Tacloban after Haiyan: Of coming home and coming together

Tacloban. When I was younger, I couldn't wait for the day when I'd finally have to pack my bags for college and leave Tacloban. I wanted to see the world and be free! And I did. For many years now, I've been living independently in the Big City and would only go home during the holidays or other special occasions. For me and many of my friends, this has been the case.

Sunset as seen behind the mountains along Maharlika Highway reveals slow signs of life
But in November, all it took was for Tacloban to be disconnected from the world for a few hours and I already saw countless posts from fellow Warays who would give up everything just to fly to Tacloban right then and there. 

I went home not right away but during the holidays. It broke my heart to see my hometown flattened and reduced to rubble but it was heartwarming to see the outpour of help from all over the country and the world. Even more overwhelming was the resilience of fellow Waraynons who despite almost losing their lives or even losing their loved ones' lives, homes and sources of living, were still out on the streets a few hours before noche buena and media noche looking for whatever they could afford to put on top of the table or their makeshift table.

I believe that a part of how you perceive your experiences and the new places that you go to is partly defined based by your own perception of home. And Haiyan broke my home.

A Christmas tree made out of plastic bottles and recyclable materials sit in the heart of Anibong
Bethany Hospital was reduced from being one of the city's major hospitals to a sea of debris

In Alpha Bakeshop a few hours before New Year's Eve

Phase 6, V&G Subdivision






Bodies are believed to have been stuck under the ship in Anibong but survivors had managed to turn it into temporary shelter and sari-sari store even

New Year's Eve: Fireworks temporarily give light to the dark community

 "New" has never been this meaningful - Happy NEW Year from Tacloban and thank you from the bottom of our hearts for helping us.

Comments