Marfel's Lodge, Batanes: A Review

Welcome to Basco!
I arrived via Pal Express in Basco at 7:50 in the morning. I was so ecstatic seeing that the weather was perfect! The skies were blue and the sun was up. The exterior of the Basco airport showed off Ivatan craftsmanship. The thick walls made from stones were foregrounded with rows of santan plants in full bloom.

At the arrival area, I saw a welcome placard with my name on it. I approached the lady and she said that she was from Marfel's Lodge. She told me that we have to wait for two other groups to arrive.
The garden at Marfel's Lodge Annex where I stayed
I had reserved at Marfel's two days before I flew. All it took was a text message to Ate Fe. There was even no need to deposit a down payment. Ate Fe simply asked for my flight details and my complete name for the placard. When the other guests arrived, we got into a van and dropped the first batch at Marfel's main house. I learn later that Marfel's now has three locations in Basco and that, together with the second group in the van, I will be housed at the Annex which is farther from the main location. It was totally okay considering that distance from the airport to either of the Marfel's locations was very short. (We could've walked!)



Upon arriving at Marfel's Lodge Annex, the first thing I noticed was that the lawn was spacious and the garden was simply yet beautifully trimmed. Ate Fe welcomed us with a smile. She toured us around the common areas - the sala, kitchen, toilet and bath, and then gave us the keys to our rooms.
The fan room at Marfel's Lodge where I stayed for P350 a night
I got a fan room for 1 for P350 per night. It had a double bed, dresser, fan and came with a clean towel, roll of tissue and soap,  It was a decent and neat room for a cheap price but I'd have to share a common toilet and bath with the others.



The house also had two air-conditioned rooms; each could accommodate up to 4-5 pax. Guests are also welcome to use the kitchen and cooking facilities for a minimal amount; or buy from a mini honesty store selling coffee, tea, etc. If you want to explore the town in wheels (though not highly advisable for leisure bikers), Marfel's also rent out bikes for P250 per hour.
The sala at Marfel's Lodge Annex

At the end of the day, guests would come together at this living room to talk about the highlights of our trips and share travel tips.
Bikes for rent for P25 per hour
Conclusion

What I like most about Marfel's Lodge Annex is that it's just a few steps away from Octagon Restaurant, a restaurant with a great view of the beach; and SDC, a cooperative canteen that sell cheaper meals compared to the other food establishments. It's also walking distance to PNB, one of only 2 ATMs in Basco, Aside from the distance, Ate Fe and the rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful the whole time. Ate Fe helped me connect with her network of tour guides, headed by Ryan, and ensured that all her guests were okay throughout the stay. I'd definitely consider Marfel's Lodge again the next time!

Contact Ate Fe at these numbers:
09209764966
09178833249

Marfel's Facebook account:
https://www.facebook.com/marfelslodge.batanes

Comments