Where to go and what to do in Bali

Maybe it comes with age but I find myself trying  some mid-scale spots more and more often when I travel these days. But I comfort myself in the thought that I always end up enjoying more when I hang out in unassuming places like the tiny old bar in the corner of a less-crowded street in Seminyak.

Here's my honest opinion about some of Bali's hotspots.

Potato Head


I've heard that we need to arrive early to be able to get a beach bed. We arrive around 9 AM and all the beach beds have been taken! I'd be quick to say that Potato Head was a bit overrated but there was something about the sun beds that would make you want to crawl into one, read a book and gulp a beer along with the entirety of Bali's yuppie crowd.

Sardine



I'd say I loved Sardine more than the other spots we've visited. It's a restaurant nestled in the middle of a rice field. Maybe I like it because the concept is new to me. We were the first diners and had the chance to pick the best table. There was something about dining in the middle of a rice field that made the food taste bland. The scenery was too pretty commanding my sense of sight to go on full force that my other senses had to take the backseat.


Ibu Oka

I made sure that we dine here for their version of roast pig. Anthony Bourdain said it has one of the best roasted pigs he's ever tasted. The biggest fan of lechon that I am, it was a priority in our itinerary. After a bite, I knew right away that it fell off my expectations. Don't get me wrong but coming from the Visayas, I have high standards for roasted pig. I was sad that I didn’t even finish my meal.

Ku De Ta




Everyone was alive as the EDM blasting in the stereo. You get to choose whether you stay indoors or outdoors. The space for outdoors is bigger and you can tell easily that many choose to dine al fresco. Some were lying down and sipping their cocktails; and others, spacing out and looking at the ocean. The sun had started to set and hues of pinks, golds and blues have turned the sky into a canvass. EDM wasn't my kind of music for  this pretty sunset so I sip my expensive cocktail then we leave.

WahWah Burger

We got hungry while walking around Seminyak and saw this huge "WahWah" sign. The Pulled Pork burger was good but not good enough to make me come back.

Among all the spots I've been to, I think it was the old bar across our hotel that I loved most. It was old enough with interiors that looked like they were about to fall off. (It looked like Mayric's!) But what can I say? They were playing old-school blues and that was good enough for me.

Comments