Baler guide: And why I keep coming back


It was raining in Sabang and we couldn't surf because a landslide just happened. Instead of sleeping,
our friend took us to Dipaculao, a nearby town of  Baler. 
In the morning, you can get clean and big waves. Personally, I don't really like big waves. In fact,
 I panic! Haha. Baby peelers are my favorite which is why maybe I'll never learn to surf using a short board.
This is Ingkit, a friend who resides in Baler.
I couldn't find any word or any place to better associate my 2016 with than Baler. I fell in love with Baler! It wasn't love at first sight. I've been to Baler a few times before and it was just okay. I had to keep coming back because I was trying to overcome my fear of deep waters by learning to surf again. That meant going to Baler, even if I had to spend 12 hours of our time on a bus, at least once a month. Before I knew it, I couldn't take Baler off my mind. It wasn't even for the surf. I just felt something drawing me back.


Still in Dipcaculao - the rain had just stopped and  the skies and the sea were blending softly,
meeting through the horizon.
After a year of coming back every month, we felt obliged to have a touristy photo. This was taken during
 our last trip in 2015.
People
We said, "It's funny how things work out in Baler." It really is! Because it's such a small town, one acquaintance will lead you to another acquaintance. Before you know it, you've exchanged numbers and you're taking his board out for a ride. The surfing community is small so there's a huge chance you'll find a regular ride, thanks to your fellow city surfers. And the good thing about this is that you find people who, like you, come to Baler for the same kind of high (I guess "stoke" really exists!). You get stoked together. You can't get it out your head. You want it bad - again. So, you come back. Together.

Surf
Surf here is laidback and chill. Shoreline is long so you don't worry about crowded lineups. Personally, I like the break in Baler more than anywhere else. From beginners to advanced surfers, there's always a perfect spot. Beginners can always find an instructor in Sabang while advanced surfers can try out other spots like Diguisit and Cemento. I'd say you stick with one instructor if you have plans of turning surfing into a hobby.
Meet the 1.0 burger from Good Food, my favorite! I was surprised to find out that the owner was a neighbor
in Tacloban. I can't say what to try because everything is good. Food is so yumeeeh and affordable.
We even buy a takeout before leaving for Manila.
Food
So you surf and then what happens after? You eat! You eat and you talk about your wipeouts. There's more to Baler food trip than what you see along Sabang. Good Food always tops my list. Kusina Luntian, Puno's ice cream, Madison's Cakes and Pastries, Dialyn's.... The only thing lacking is good coffee. El Union coffee is good and I wish we can find one in Baler.

It's a respite
You leave Friday midnight after a long day's work and then you wake up right in time for sunrise in Baler. I come back to collect happy cookies which I use to make it through my daily battles in Manila. When these happy cookies thin out, I feel the need go back. It's been like this for the past year and every time I look at my to-do list at work or wait for late-night conference calls, I just think about my next Baler trip and I'll be motivated to finish everything.

Oh, Baler. I hope we all find a happy place. Happy new year!

Comments