Smells like Amsterdam


Amsterdam Central
The only non-gloomy shot I have! And I remember this moment. It was early morning and it did smell like Amsterdam. Must be the nearby coffeeshops (that do not serve coffee; if you want coffee, you go to a cafe)

After almost 24 hours of traveling, we were officially in Europe! It was 8 in the evening and the sun was just about to set. Seeing that it was sunny outside, my tropical skin was anticipating some warmth. This anticipation was short-lived as we exited the airport gates and a rush of chilly winds welcomed us to our first ever European country. "Maybe this is how Europe feels like," I told myself. Our Airbnb host, picked us up and we drove for 15 minutes to our apartment.

The next morning, we headed to explore Amsterdam downtown. Finding the train station was a bit of a challenge because all the houses and the streets looked alike. The village was sickeningly quiet and all we could hear were the chirping of the birds and the sound of clonking bike bells.Thank god to CityMapper (must-download app if you're traveling!) and Google Maps.  The scene changed when we reached Amsterdam Central. It seemed like mishmash to me. The scene was gloomy but the music from street buskers offered a sense of vibrancy. I felt the daily rush in the people who walked fast trying to catch their trains but there was also a feeling of peacefulness at the sight of the canals. As we walked farther from the terminal, it began to feel, look and smell like the Amsterdam that I've read in books. Still gloomy and cold. Women of different forms, in lingerie, inside big floor-length windows. Gouda displays. Bikes. And more than anything, there was a distinct smell. I know that with the smell alone, I was in Amsterdam. I could not be wrong!

Awkward pose after going around Van Gogh
It was summer and people were out drinking as early as lunch.
Since it was our first time, we didn't mind being touristy at all. Our days were spent going to museums, people-watching, drinking beer (Because why not? This is where Heineken was born!) and joining Sandeman's free tours. Sandeman's walking tours are "free" but most people usually tip at the end. Our first tour was the more general intro to Amsterdam. We had a really cool tour guide. She tells the entire group that she's from Poland but has lived in the city for a few years and that when Amsterdam gets cold, she heads to Portugal for a few months to surf. (Music to my ears.) This was all I needed to hear.

So I approached her and told her that I'm from the Philippines with some nice surf spots. In between tourist locations, we'd exchange surf stories. She'd tell me that she hates big waves and how surfing has got her to practice veganism and yoga. My kind of girl. The tour was informative and fun but I'd say that the highlight was talking to our tour guide about Portugal and her lifestyle.

Gouda!!! I wanted to hoard a lot of these. 
Dam Square
I'm not a big fan of Heineken so I tried other beers.
Vondelpark! I loved coming here for alone time - just with my beer that I'd buy from a convenient store.
Since it was summer, everyone was just crazy to get some sun. They were all over the parks. I noticed that there was almost no one holding a mobile. They were either talking, drinking or reading. The city center is very walkable or should I say, bikeable if you want to feel more like a local.

To me, Amsterdam was intense. It looked, felt and smelled of liberation.

Comments