Praha - Beer all day, every day, any damn day


The cellist is playing "Love me Tender"
Before the trip, I searched "what to do in Prague during summer" and "not touristy things to do in Prague". It gave a range of places but one thing stood out - Riegrovy Sady Park & Beer Garden - Because of - beer! It's not that we haven't been doing night caps in this county. In fact, I have never drunk as much alcohol as I have in Prague!  They serve beer for breakfast. Even the kids drink beer. And if you go to restaurants, beer is cheaper than water  (so why will I order water?).  It wasn't surprising why we've been feeling bloated for a while.






It was summer and the sun was up. I'd say that the warmth was almost similar to Manila except that it gets erratic and suddenly, gets so cold that you'd have to wear a cover-up.








So one afternoon, we looked up Riegrovy Sady. We got off short of a few stops so we ended up walking. It wasn't a sweet leisurely walk. It was almost an hour of uphill walking. The heat was not helping so we were all getting a little grumpy. Finally, we found the beer  garden! It was right in the middle of a huge park. There wasn't really anything fancy but the energy of the crowd felt like there was a music festival. We picked a restaurant that looked very unassuming in the assumption that beer would be cheap. True enough - beer was cheap. The restaurant reminded me of Sarah's in UP, filled with young people and buzzing conversations. After Amsterdam, I told myself that I'm never drinking Heineken (somehow, I find it too bland) again so I was determined to search for the best beer in Prague. Thankfully, I found Gambrinus. It found it so good I gulped quite a lot - "a lot" enough to make me tipsy by sunset.



With their beers and mats, people had started going down to the open area so we decided to follow. They were all facing the west so at first it looked like it was a movie screening. We found our spots and were back to business with our drinks. It actually felt like drinking on the beach, waiting for sunset, except that there was no body of water. When the sun finally started setting, everything became a slow-mo with everyone stopping their conversations and turning their attention to the sun.  Meanwhile, I was feeling and thinking of so many things while this was happening - that we are so lucky to see a beautiful sunset every day and that I'm amazed at how people in Europe take time to breathe in the moment and forget social media. I took a few snaps of the sunset and quickly hid my phone. I'm still Asian, after all.

Comments