5 things to do in Seoul

When you’re not much of a K-Pop fan and you don’t enjoy eating fresh and healthy-cooked greens as much as eating grilled food, why will you book a ticket to Korea in the first place? Hmm, I don’t know, too.

My short trip to Korea made me realize that Seoul is that city with the modern bustle but not too modern to lose its cultural charm. Weeks before the trip, I was trying to finalize my Seoul itinerary. I had wanted to skip some touristy spots and just settle for a few places where I know I’d truly enjoy. Good thing I kept my itinerary flexible because I still ended up checking out a lot of Seoul’s common tourist destinations - and actually enjoyed most of it! Here’s the top five on my list.

Find your way back to art in Insadong







I’m a sucker for cute little things and artsy, crafty street markets. On my first day, I headed to Insadong, home to vibrant street graffiti,  food nooks with cool interiors, bundles of souvenir items, and lots and lots of street foods. Musicians, painters, and impromptu dog shows are instant eye-stoppers on the streets. Such a lovely place for the artsy-fartsy. And if you're looking for good but affordable chow, keep walking because there are lots of hidden food stalls in every corner.

How to get to Insadong:
Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 6. Walk for about 100m straight, then turn left.

Get lost in the blinding lights of Myeongdong





The best time to visit Myeongdong is at night. For many, Myeongdong is where all the great shopping happens but what drew me to this part of Seoul was the hustle bustle of the crowd, colorful store signages, neons, busy shoppers, even busier sellers, street foods on the go…. everything and everyone was on the go! It held me on a different kind of rush and oftentimes, I’d found myself in a photo frenzy.

How to get to Myeongdong:
Myeongdong Station (Seoul Subway Line 4), Exit 5, 6, 7, or 8.

Bike around (and please don’t crash) in Nami island






Nami is not in Seoul but just an hour and a half away, thanks to the ITX. It’s famous being the shoot location for Winter Sonata. As you already know, I knew very little about Koreanovelas but I enjoyed biking, eating, and taking fall photos around the island. It was almost fall when we went and the leaves had started to turn to lots of pretty colors – oranges, yellows, reds. It was my first autumn experience so my camera and I were both on a high.

One incident also happened in Nami which made our trip even more unforgettable. It may not have been the kind of moment that you’d want to remember but I laugh my heart out every time I think about the few seconds of adrenaline that I had felt when I was about to crash on my bike. Yes, I crashed. It was a pretty bad crash. I was biking through a downhill terrain when I suddenly lost control so I slammed my head into a huge tree. Good thing I remained conscious even after the hit. Still, I went home with souvenir clots and bruises all over my body and a funny story to tell.

How to get to Nami Island:
ITX from Cheongyanni Station to Gapyeong station. (Trips are on schedule so please check in advance.)
From Gapyeong, bus/taxi to Nami Island ferry terminal.

EAT A LOT even if you don’t like veggies!



Yes, I don’t eat vegetables but why did I find a gastronomical adventure in Korea enjoyable? K-o-r-e-a-n barbecue!!!!! My friend and I were on a budget but we made sure to eat right and nice at least once a day. This meant settling for our guesthouse’s free breakfast, some cup noodles for lunch and saving the splurge for the last meal – dinner. Korean restaurants serve lots of appetizers before every meal – kimchi, spicy tofu, cold noodles, and lots and lots of greens which names I don’t know.

And where to eat? We ate on the streets of Insadong and Myeongdong.

Stroll around Bukchon Hanok Village



We had walked for minutes, maybe even an hour but we were rewarded with the great scenery in Bukchon village. Bukchon village is home to traditional Korean houses called the hanok. It’s a great way to enjoy local architecture. As for me, I have a thing for door designs and I found lots of really cute door designs in this small village. One tip – wear your comfortable footwear because you’d be walking uphill and downhill.

Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 2
Walk for about 300m to Bukchon Hanok Village (and don’t wear heels).

Hope you enjoy your trip to Seoul! And guess what? This not much of a K-Pop fan who doesn’t enjoy eating fresh and healthy-cooked greens as much as eating grilled food, ended up having a blast - and is again planning to book a ticket back.

Comments